Jack and I have been home from work and day care this week since the snow is falling so much (and my car has Barbie wheels haha). So after memorizing all of the commercials on TV, I decided to make a gingerbread house with him. We started by cleaning the kitchen. I had found a pink apron of my mom's in the drawer and decided Jack should wear one too considering how messy a gingerbread house can get.
A quick note about Jack's apron: my mom made each of us (Mike, Jes, and me) one of these aprons when we were little to keep us clean(er) while crafting.
Once the dishes were done, I was killing time until my mom returned from the store with more previsions for gingerbread house building. I asked Jack what we needed to make a gingerbread house. He went to the pantry and handed me a pack of peaches. I didn't think they would keep very well in frosting so I had him help me put them in the fridge.
He is so helpful :-)
To kill more time, we emptied the bags of sugar into the bins. Jack saw me cut open the powdered sugar bag and just felt like helping my cut open the brown sugar.
I helped him :-)
Grandma brought home lots of yummy decorative treats including Jack's favorite: marshmallows.
I admit we cheated and didn't make the gingerbread from scratch and shaping it ourselves - we just used the kit.
Uh-oh! Where's Jack?
BOO! There he is!
Luckily, Grandma brought home some more candy to decorate the house because the kit was weak. Plus the spice drops were as hard as rocks, and I think Mike chipped a tooth trying to bite one of those colorful things - YUCK!
Jackson fell in love with mini-candycanes. I had one in my hand when I was trying to take his picture and (obviously) he saw it.
He had had 4 already so I tried to pace him be not unwrapping this one. He wasn't too amused.
He tried to eat through the plastic - I unwrapped the candy cane before he choked.
See: we know what it takes to make a good house. We added a few more things to this pile as we went - like when we needed shingles we grabbed the Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
This is where we started. Luckily the Candy Cane Forrest was thriving before we started :D
Jackson kept trying to eat all the candy - which I hadn't really thought about. I know he would eat a lot of it but he just wouldn't stop. So we took a break from building and ate some real dinner. Jack was so full - and probably had a sugar coma too - so he fell asleep.
This is what our house will look like in a few months :D teeheehee - Grandma didn't think I was too funny. [If you haven't heard, the people who built our house 50+ years ago did a wonderful job doing everything wrong. Turns out the entire structure is resting on walls in all the wrong places and will need to be taken off and completely rebuilt this spring. YAY!]
In the front yard there are kids sledding, carolers, a palm tree (because Jesii lives in California), the Christmas tree, and a pathway.
No comments:
Post a Comment